European stock price fluctuating outside trading hours?

Hey guys, so anyone holding US stocks knows that the value of their US positions can also fluctuate outside trading hours due to the EUR/USD exchange rate.

This morning however is the first time I ever notice European stocks in my portfolio fluctuating even though markets aren’t open yet (see screenshot).

Anyone else notice the same thing, or anyone know what causes this?

I have no idea, and I think it’s especially odd because stocks that are in the same market/currency are up/down by different percentages (eg. Volkswagen & Vonovia in Germany, Kering & Orange in France).

Thanks!

4 Likes

I think you meant to say that the market is not open to us retail investors.

There is certainly trading going on outside of the regular hours on special exchanges. DeGiro offers some of it actually.

3 Likes

Yes indeed, but I never saw my European stocks change even 0,01% in the app outside 9:00-16:30 on weekdays (nor has the app ever showed the extended trading changes from the US).

2 Likes

Wow that’s looks weird

2 Likes

Do you or any of your colleagues happen to know @Fergus ? :innocent:

2 Likes

Yeah! If my portfolio is gonna be losing value at night I’d like to know why :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have had it too! Saw it this morning before opening bell at 9.

3 Likes

@JPeters , when trading is done after hours for European stocks, will its effect be visible in the stock price at opening bell? Like a sudden rise or fall?

2 Likes

I don’t know to be honest. I imagine the sudden drop or rise after the opening bell being regular orders by investors just being executed all at once at opening causing a wild swing in prices usually.

I found that it’s best to wait 10-20 minutes or so after opening to see what the price does as it usually stabilises or rebounds around that time.
Personally I never purchase at the opening but always wait the above amount of time. If after 10-20 minutes the stock keeps dropping, I’ll just hold off buying and keeping an eye on the direction of the price that day.
(I usually make purchases once a month or so, so I’d like to get the best price possible when I do).

4 Likes

Hey guys let me checked what happened!!

4 Likes

I know

1 Like

Thank you in advance

2 Likes

Hey :smiling_face: we need a little more information, was it a specific stock? all european stocks? what does fluctuation means? what numbers if was being shown…

Please provide a full picture and hopefully we can help you more effectively

1 Like

Thank you for following up @BenedettaBUX

It was indeed all my European stocks. This morning I saw the same thing, relatively small changes (usually - or + 0,1 or less). Kering was the outlier, it was something like +0,47%.
The two ETFs I owned were also both -0,02% (can’t remember if they had a change yesterday too).

2 Likes