ING (inga)

The ING Group is a Dutch multinational banking and financial services corporation headquartered in Amsterdam. Its primary businesses are retail banking, direct banking, commercial banking, investment banking, wholesale banking, private banking, asset management, and insurance services. With total assets of US$1.1 trillion, it is one of the biggest banks in the world, and consistently ranks among the top 30 largest banks globally. It is among the top ten in the list of largest European companies by revenue.

What can we share and discuss in this topic?

• News
  • Quarterly and annual figures
  • Management interviews
  • Analyst reports and price targets
  • Market developments regarding the company
1 Like

Had a small position in ING for a while but despite being one of the largest banks supposedly, it’s returns to shareholders are abysmal like most Dutch banks.
10 years investing into ING will have returned you a grand 27% in capital gains (excluding dividends).

Meanwhile, had you invested in banks that do care about shareholders like Bank of America, your capital gains would have been 300% excluding dividends.

Even the unfavored child, Wells Fargo, with the huge scandal has returned 68% over 10 years.

In my honest opinion I would not touch ING, or any Dutch bank for that matter, with a 10 foot pole until they start properly rewarding shareholders for their risk.

3 Likes

Very well put Jpeters, 1 thing to add to it, it is however a pretty save investment for a longer term portfolio, you would never lose your money, as if it goes bankrupt the Dutch goverment would buy it anyways.

So if you gonna place your savings on an ING savings account 0.0% interest, it might be just better to buy there stock?

1 Like

Unless I am mistaken about this, if the Dutch government buys a bank, your stock stops to exist. It’s like if the bank actually went bankrupt.
So it’s far from safe, as a customer of the bank your money is guaranteed (up to an amount), but as a shareholder you will get nothing.

I had a position in the past in a company that declared bankruptcy and was taken private as a result. All shareholders basically lost their entire investment.

1 Like

The goverment spend money but didn’t get any voting rights and got it payed back with interest, it didn’t stop to excist. So stockholders didn’t lose anything i believe.

1 Like

Hmmmm I am not sure about ING I prefer American banks, more profitable and better investment IMO

1 Like

Found this article in the news today: ING maakt veel meer winst en keert miljarden uit aan aandeelhouders | NOS

1 Like