Investing on a monthly budget

Hey fellow investors,

I’ll do this in english … but answers in dutch are welcomed as well.

As I stumbled upon Bux zero, I got really interested in the low level entry into the world of investing and am totally hooked on it. At the moment I have a small portfolio. I am building this up with an investment of about 100 euro’s per month.

The question I want ask to the more experienced investors here, is :

Because I use 100 euro per month, I tend to buy stock that are somewhat lower than 100 euro, or multiple different stocks that are cheaper. This also means i ‘miss’ out on the more expensive ones (tesla, amazon, etc …)

Is it better to save up a bit and buy a certain stock in a larger bulk (or larger price) or Do i keep buying smaller stock piece by piece.

My current portfolio, which I try to keep diverse holds :

1 x Abbvie
2 x Realty income
3 x Stag
1 x Vanguard S&P 500 UCITS ETF
1 x Ishares Core stoxx 50 ETF
1 x Ishares Euro dividend ETF
3 x GBL
1 x Econocom (my free stock and my first, so I keep it for sentimental reasons :smiley: )

Already a big thanks beforehand for the tips/tricks/help !

Hi Maccie!

I wouldn’t worry about ‘missing out’ on the more expensive stocks. I see you are already investing in ETF’s, which means you are actually also investing in those stocks for a bit. I think I’ve also read that Bux is working on fractional shares. While I’m not a huge fan of fractional stocks, it would give you the possibility to, for instance, purchase ½ stock of Amazon.

I do think building your portfolio step by step is a good method. If you’ll save up and purchase every stock you are interested in at once, the chances are you are purchasing in the wrong moment. Purchasing some every month (research the DCA strategy if you havent yet) regardless of price will provide you with an interesting average purchase price in the long run.

1 Like

Welcome !

The big guns are good stocks but what i advice is to first look at the smaller ones. Bigger stocks can have bigger losses with fluctuations. First i would say get a bit more experience and see what you like and after that go for the big stocks. Example:

One stock of €12 losing 10% = €1,20

One stock of €250 losing 10% = €25,-

The bigger the stock the bigger te risk. On a low budget you might panic maybe when you lose a lot in one day. Starting on the smaller ones can help to understand what kind of investor you are. Knowing yourself is knowing your strategy and help your funds grow.

One piece of advice is to look at ETF’s with dividend. Small but fun.

After a longer period of time, say about 1 year, you can maybe sell small stocks and buy a bigger one. Its also good to sometimes look at your portfolio to see if you are still happy about it.

:v: Hope it helps

1 Like

I had to overcome my first scare when seeing the numbers drop … I made the beginner mistake of selling a few small stocks as they were falling rapidly … that made profit in the end, but I call that the learning cost. Lucky for me it was a very limited loss.

So now i’m a bit more comfortable with seeing red numbers and learned not to react to them. I leave my emotions out of it and go for the long haul.More of an investors mindset than a traders mindset