Possible war and economic crisis? 😧

Hi guys, how’s your week started?

Here I am with a question for you!! Recently, as all of you know, a conflict between Russia&China VS Europe&USA has arisen over the independence of Ukraine. Do you think that this dispute will cause an economical issue in which also your portfolios will be impacted? Let me know your thoughts

P.S it’s not a political post

3 Likes

To be honest, it will probably dip Russian stocks as they are the clear aggressor here.

If they do, I might pick up some Gazprom around €4-5 if it goes that low.

If this potential conflict causes a more worldwide stock downturn, it will be “bargain hunting time” again for a short while.

Either way, unless an actual nuclear war breaks out that would make stock trading impossible one can only really benefit from things like this in the long term. Odd as that is to say.

3 Likes

I don’t see it happen (the war), but if it happens: their will be a small correction but then investors will see and won’t have any affection for the economy and stocks starts to recover. Their will be opportunities in the dip

3 Likes

Where do you trade Gazprom?

3 Likes

DeGiro on one of the German excganges.

2 Likes

Allright. Looks good! But the main thing is ofcourse the management… that is a bit tricky

3 Likes

Investors should not be to worried about the Ukraine situation. Right now it is a cock fight between the US and Russia. Both don’t want to lose credit or damage their image.

Russia has the gas to keep the EU silent, just a touch to the tap and we are in panic. So if stuff would happen there would be different opportunities just like gazprom indeed. I suggest taking caution before buying though.

For now stick to tech stocks for a bit, might be a good first 2 quarters.

3 Likes

Don’t think a war will happen.

2 Likes

Why tech? I would recommend oil and gas due to the high prices. With the high inflation and interest rate hikes incoming. Lots of tech will be dipping more imo. The analyst DCF method for stock value calculation will blow the tech stocks down

3 Likes

Volgens mij zal Rusland enkele kleine gebieden van Oekraïne binnenvallen en inlijven, zoals bij de Krim is gebeurd. Dit zal geen reden zijn voor de VS en Europa om hier een soort van wereldoorlog te gaan beginnen. Het is weer wel een begin van een Koude Oorlog en dat kan economisch voor de nodige trammelant zorgen, zie gasleveringen etc.
Hopelijk houden de haantjes hun hoofd koel want niemand is hiermee gebaat behalve de oorlogsindustrie.

2 Likes

The current situation seems to get worse. I expect red charts this week. A war is bad for everyone doesn’t matter which stock you own. Of course even worse for Russian stocks.

We all expected happiness since corona is almost gone. But we only see fear. War is coming up and high market correction thanks to new interest rate by the federal reserve.

Better to hide that BUX 0 app for some time haha.

4 Likes

What a terrible day. Russia started a war. What are you doing? Do you sell or hold?

3 Likes

Wait, Gazprom has rebounded from €5.50 back to it’s “old” price of €7-8, but with Russia starting an invasion that price will most likely drop severely again, if it gets to €4 - €4.50 I’ll start loading up.

Remember, this will just be a temporary conflict like the last time they annexed part of Ukraine, so if there are stocks you are eyeing, pick them up in the coming day when there will be a nice, but temporary, sale again.

3 Likes

Hold, what would you do?

3 Likes

Best tip,

Go to the woods or mountains and live without any news for the next 5 years… :see_no_evil: Sounds more attractive everyday…

I’ll be holding, might be my worst or best decision in life. Only time will tell. :scream:

4 Likes

Same holding as well.

4 Likes

Will be buying more stocks tomorrow

4 Likes

Gazprom hit €4, dropped 31% this morning so I opened up an initial position :slight_smile:

It’s one of the cheapest producers of gas (energy crisis) and at €4 it pays a 7-8% yearly dividend at the moment.

2 Likes

Is the right time for me to start investing? give me ideas and suggestions guys

3 Likes

That REALLY depends on your risk tolerance and what kind of investor you are. If you like safety and stability, then investing in highly uncertain times is probably not a wise idea.

If you are a long term investor AND have the stomach for seeing your portfolio drop 20-40% for months on end, then these are ideal times to invest. But you have to be able to stick to your convictions on why you bought certain companies in the first place.
If your companies are still making the same amount of money (or only temporarily have a dip in income due to circumstances entirely outside of their control) then there really is no good reason to sell them in a downturn.

If you are starting as a brand new investor at this point in time, I’d honestly make these recommendations:

• Start with small positions, what small is for you personally I don’t know, but if you have an average income I’d suggest positions between €50-100 a piece.
  • Live through these uncertain months with these positions and see if you are the type of person to hold or if you have that nagging feeling to sell. That gives you insight in what type of investor you are.
  • Don’t go overboard on stocks that have dropped a lot but be sure to add some more stable ones to your position as well for safety and moral support.
6 Likes