Question about crypto commisions

I have now bought crypto twice using the Bux zero app and each time right after I bought the ROI percentage started off negative by like +/-1,5% (just seconds after). Why does this happen? I would think this takes into account the commision that you pay (and thus the instantaneous negative ROI). However when buying crypto the recap screen shows that you pay 0% comission. Can someome pls explain what I’m doing wrong?

3 Likes

I believe it’s because of the hideous spread. If you buy 100euros whort of eth and sell right away you only get 98.5 (1.5% loss because of the spread.)

3 Likes

Hi @Redizio, great question!

There is always a spread between the bid and the ask price of financial instruments and cryptocurrencies. When you send in a buy order you will buy at the ask price. The ask price indicates the price for which the market is willing to sell. The bid price is the price at which you would trade if you would send in a sell order at that moment to the market, so the price that the best buyer wants to pay for it. Your position can show an initial loss as the portfolio is based on the bid price, whereas you bought it for the ask price. This way we make sure you will always see the amount you would get if you sold your current position.

3 Likes