Your favourite sources for stock/company research

Hey guys

I was wondering which sources, outside a company’s own data, you use most often when researching stocks or companies.

Which websites, apps, magazines, podcasts, … do you consider essential in your day-to-day investing activities? Do you pay for any of these via a subscription and is it worth it?

Looking forward to hear which tools you all use!

4 Likes

Investor relation page
Stock events
Yahoo finance
Podcasts

5 Likes

Basically Seeking Alpha, it has professional and amateur analysis of companies.

You can build your portfolio there (you can’t buy stocks obviously but you can create a portfolio) and you’ll get articles/analysis on the companies in your portfolio.

Pretty much the best source of info if you ask me, and accessible.

5 Likes

I often see Seeking Apha being recommend. The price of a premium membership does seem quite high (between 15 and 30 USD / month, depending on whether you pay per month, per year or per three years). But you’d say it’s worth it? @JPeters

2 Likes

Who said anything about premium membership?

It’s absolutely free, you don’t really need the premium stuff at all if you ask me.

Just create an account and make a portfolio.

I don’t pay a dime and I’ve been using it for years.

3 Likes

You don’t need premium, alpha seeking is free !

1 Like

Ah okay. A lot of info seemed to be blocked out on the free site (I do check it sometimes). I guess I’ll create an account and look around a bit more!

I also find Simply Wall St kinda nice, mostly because it is aesthetically pleasing for me personally. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seeking Alpha is really about the analysis articles written by members (both financial professionals and amateurs), the rest of the metrics is a nice bonus but not really needed.

If you read a number of articles on a company that back up everything with numbers, you get a pretty good picture of a company.
Just make sure you read articles on both sides of the fence, for and against, that way you can make your mind up in a more educated way.

Seeking Alpha is part of my daily routine, spend about an hour or two on it every day, just reading.

4 Likes

When I read articles on Seeking Alpha even when signed in to my free account, I quickly get a pop up saying “You’ve reached your free article limit”. How do you get around this @JPeters ?

Edit: I read somewhere online the limit is 5 articles per month. How do you read articles 2 hours per day on there?

3 Likes

I mostly use Yahoo Finance, Seeking Alpha, YouTube and the investor relations page. But I’m using the premium seeking alpha account shared with my dad. Sometimes I also use Zacks.

4 Likes

I have absolutely no clue at the moment, I am logged in under my account, I don’t pay anything ever but I can read unlimited articles.

Have you got the correct url?

2 Likes

Yup, I’m logged in and upon opening my first article today I immediately get this:

:persevere:

2 Likes

Ah, I googled it and it seems that they changed the rules for (new?) members:
“Effective Jan. 4, 2021, a free user can access 5 articles a month without paying”

If that is the case, then Seeking Alpha for new members is slightly less useful unless you know in advance which companies you are interested in.

As I said, I do not have this limit myself it seems so I can read as much as I want for free.

3 Likes

Ah that would make sense then. Sucks for me, but great for you in any case. Enjoy man :slight_smile: Thanks for the info!

3 Likes